The constitution, Immigration, and Medicare

The constitution, Immigration, and Medicare

Postby mreill01 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I am an elderly widow living alone in my home in North Carolina. I am a child of The Great Depression, and worked hard my whole life with only a high school diploma to my credit. I feel I could have had so much more, had better employment, and been paid much better with higher education. My father did not let me continue my education, because at that time education was considered wasted on a girl ("you'll only just get married anyway, and never work"). As a child of The Depression, and armed with a high school education, I determined that things would be better for my children. I worked hard my entire life, and lived within my means.

I have been voting since FDR was in office, and I am dissatisfied with the political parties of today. I don't see them accomplishing anything. Individually they seem to want a "big name", and collectively they do not work together, compromise, and do the job we elect them to do on our behalf.

The Constitution is good, and should be adhered to. It is not perfect, but I feel it is better than anything else in the world.

Regarding immigration- My mother and father were Canadian citizens who came legally to the United States around 1930. They went through the process legally, although it took some time. People who are in the country today illegally should have to get in line and proceed legally. They should not be granted special consideration or be exempted from the rule of law.

Regarding the Right to Bear Arms- I support the Constitution as the supreme law of the land. Within its boundaries, I would allow that some of these rapid-fire and semi-automatic weapons should be harder to own. It is an issue that should be examined carefully and soberly; not as a knee-jerk reaction to passion or fear. But something should be done about these automatic weapons.

I voted for Mitt Romney in 2012, and don't understand how Barack Obama was re-elected. However, in every game there is a winner and a loser, and he did win. I fear he will get his way on the budget, and keep spending and spending. The Republicans will probably give in, and Mr. Obama will get his way. What we need, instead of winners and losers, is a compromise of the two positions for the good of America.

I am satisfied with my Medicare and my Social Security. If you're wise and careful, you can live within your means, and as you age, give up some of the things you had when you were younger and still working. I am able to just cover my bills.

Return to Opinions