Wasteful government; Medicare

Wasteful government; Medicare

Postby debbie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I am an American citizen living on the island of Guam. Guam is a territory of the United States. I am a 57-year-old female, disabled by a stroke at the age of 41. Although we are American citizens, we cannot vote directly for the President of the United States, so we are not included in the popular vote. I feel this is wrong.

I see a ridiculous amount of waste, inefficiency, and mis-management in our government; ridiculous amounts of money for simple items that are buried in wasteful government contracts.

I don't care about the party system or about term limits. I don't care what party a candidate represents, I vote based upon their positions on the issues that are important to me. If a candidate is worthy, they can be elected as many times as the people choose. I do not like candidates who get elected and then do not do what they were elected to do.

I really liked Ronald Reagan. I think the government is too big and complicated. I support going back to the basics and adhering more closely to the Constitution.

I rely on social security disability. I get food stamps and I have medicare insurance. The food stamps and social security are insufficient to sustain me. Medicare insurance is good, and I am happy about that. My only criticism of medicare is that it doesn't provide for long-term speech therapy. As a stroke victim at the age of 41, I could have benefited greatly from that.

Illegal aliens attempt to get onto the island of Guam often. They are mostly Filipinos and Chinese. The ports are closely watched; when the illegals are found, they are sent home without further expense or trouble. What bothers me the most about illegal immigration is that the resources of America go to take care of people who are not citizens when we have Americans in need right now. Besides that, the budget is a mess and we can't afford it.

Return to Opinions